AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pros and cons of front mounted spray booms
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 11/3/2006 07:12 (#57643 - in reply to #57638)
Subject: Re: Pros and cons of front mounted spray booms

Ethridge, TN
I ran a Walker for a spring season with the front mounted boom. Yep, your viability of the boom is better, but there is where any advantages stopped for me.

1) Entire machine was always "coated" with whatever it was you were spraying, and since you had to exit the machine of the back of it, you climbed thru the chemical all the time.

2) Went thru 2 alternators in a very short time, as the chemical being sucked thru them ate them alive. Had several other electrical problems, as chemical worked on connections.

3) Had a hard time keeping the bushings in the front end, as all the weight being in the front seemed to work very hard on them. That was not a fun job to fix.

Ron, if I had to go back to a front boom for some reason, I do think you are probably best picking the Hagie. The problem with the Walker, and I also think the Nitro is this way, instead of getting the engine "up" and out of the chemical, they tried the ol' New Idea Uni-System design and stuck it between the wheels. Down low, so as to make sure the engine "sucked" it all thru.

My preference for a self-propelled sprayer still remains a Patriot.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)