AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

backup hard drive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Owen Taylor
Posted 3/13/2007 15:29 (#119212 - in reply to #119031)
Subject: RE: backup hard drive

Mississippi
I've used the service for 5 or 6 years, maybe longer. We started with them before DSL, but I can't exactly remember when we got DSL.

I actually have 2 accounts, one for my main business computer and one for our accounting computer, which handles bookkeeping for 2 businesses and the household.

The software they provide to automate things is fairly straightforward and gives you a reading on how much space you're asking them to back up so that you can see whether you're going over your limit.

At first, you'll maybe put stuff on there that doesn't rate off-site backup or you'll decide to maybe buy a bigger package to ensure stuff you really don't want to lose remains safe. I've upgraded my main computer's account twice through the years to add more material but still have the base plan on the accounting computer. But I've also gotten better (I hope) at defining the really critical stuff that needs to be in a pair of bunkers outside of Mississippi.

I don't see this as a practical place to back up photos unless it was for business or personal inventory/household goods shots for insurance purposes. I'm not doing that but should.

You would have to really compress images, and you may be comfortable doing that, but not everyone is. My wife, Debra L. Ferguson, is an ag photographer who went totally digital in 2003, plus she had several hundreds scans of slides. She has yet to find a good off-site storage option for her inventory, except for sending backup hard drives to friends out of state who store them in their closets. In her case, we're talking terabyes, but even looking at our family photos it just didn't seem practical to use backup.com.

There are other companies that do the same thing now. David Pogue had something about this in his New York Times column within the last couple of years, but I don't recall any of the companies he featured.

I haven't been on backup.com's site in a while but just now visited it. I notice that the new base plan is for 250 megs at $50 a year. It seems like I paid that for 100 megs when I first signed on. They seem to have new (cheaper) pricing on the second and third tier plans, too.

Owen
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)