AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the high cost of ag lime--it's not the material, it's the transport!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Soil Builder
Posted 4/6/2024 22:00 (#10696974 - in reply to #10696867)
Subject: RE: the high cost of ag lime--it's not the material, it's the transport!

nebraska
Nodak63 - 4/6/2024 20:52

Here in the Red River Valley of ND/MN lime is free. Trucking and spreading is %100 of the cost. Lime is a byproduct from the beet factories and they’ve been piling it up for 75 years so it’s free. It get applied to fields the year before beets again and generally do 10 ton/acre. If you’re within 30 miles of a factory it costs about 15k to haul 60 loads for a 1/4 of land. $6/ton to spread last I checked so about $60/acre for a full rate.
tell me you’re not putting 10 ton of lime per acre! If you are, just quit farming. Who told you to put that much on? What is your soil tests telling you? Would you email a copy please? And, that “FREE” lime isn’t worth the time to apply a pound! Have you checked how much lead, aluminum, iron is in that? Remember, that lime is NOT in a natural state. When you heat up things, like lime, you change the physiology of that element. Remember, that Got didn’t have 10 tons of lime under your dirt did He? Do some research and save your money on trucking that free crap. Good grief. ANY agronomist that knows anything, would NEVER recommend putting on 10 tons per acre! If he does, you’d better fire him and undo whatever he told you. I’m sorry I’m so blunt, but it’s the darn truth. You’re gonna tell me that you really are joking about the 10ths, right?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)