AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sheep and winter/lambing/lactating feeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 11/20/2023 17:48 (#10489872 - in reply to #10489760)
Subject: RE: Sheep and winter/lambing/lactating feeding

SE Manitoba
MisfitFarms - 11/20/2023 15:50

So the wife and I are currently getting finished up Re fencing an old pasture and slightly repurposing an existing calf shed with the goal of purchasing a couple bred ewes (3-5) to have around the farm. I have my eyes on an upcoming sale that has bred ewes of the breed I’m eyeing. So the dilemma is we have hay in the barn yet from when it was a dairy along with access to more hay as needed if it came to that. I’m looking at having something with more nutrition for the ewes as they come up on lambing and are also nursing. Any kind of bulk grains isn’t really practicable for this winter, and I am wondering if there’s a bagged ration commonly available someone would recommend to supplement hay to get us through the winter and set up better for next year? I’m not too worried about cost as by next winter that will allow me more time to get something more permanent set up.

I'd spend the money on a feed test on your hay.
Good alfalfa works very well for feeding even bred ewes.
If you feed them so that they are leaving you only stalks (from the hay) and its good hay - - - they will do VERY well on that.
If - - - on the other hand - - you have some beef cow hay - - - buy yourself some corn and get some SBM.
Don't need to do anything to the corn - - - they'll crunch it right up.
How much you'll need will depend upon the feed test on that hay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)