AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Different angle on tearing out fences
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Sodbustr
Posted 5/14/2011 09:31 (#1773928)
Subject: Different angle on tearing out fences

Western Iowa
All this fence talk has made me curious on another subject. And just for the record, I have no problem paying for 1/2 a fence to keep a nieghbor happy. It will keep me happy also not chasing cattle off.

This spring especially, lots of fencing is getting torn out and guys are farming another 3 -15 feet closer to the road. There are a few spots around here there is only 3 feet of grass between gravel and corn. Some guys are weaving in and out of the powerpoles just to gain more ground.

I can see this leading to problems and perhaps the counties or states stepping in and making the farmer either define the borders better and quit farming the road ditch or maybe even making them put fence back in. In some places around here they are getting dirt pushed out further and further every year and basically filling in the road ditch. Is there a chance they will dig out the ditches and send the farmer a bill? The ditches are needed around here for water runoff and definatly snow.

I personally don't have an issue with pulling out the fence, but don't really agree with the guys pushing out so hard into the ditches and right of ways. I can see this leading to bigger issues in the future as more and more of this is done.

Is this just 'here' or more common across the corn belt?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)