AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn stalks one more time......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tim Cooke
Posted 10/18/2007 13:46 (#222122)
Subject: Corn stalks one more time......

Not picking on anyone. Just the way I see it.

"No good landowners. I have the ground rented until X and I was going to bale the corn stalks."

Let's look at this a little closer. Operator was told he could not or would not be back. Would this not have been the time to say "Hey, I am going to bale the corn stalks." Problem solved. Not as much fun as saying you got screwed. But the problem would not have come up.

Now, let's flip this. I am going to use the date below just as an example. Dec 1. You have legal control of the ground until Dec. 1. Wet Fall. Crop is standing there on Dec. 2. Landowner calls and says "Your contract is over and I have hired someone to remove the grain from my farm. See ya." Wait, he can't do that! Yes he legally can. And don't think later dates can save you. I have cut beans in April before.

"That #%^&$ landowner screwed me."

Outside of the basics I now look at things by what a "reasonable" person would do in each case.

What is gained by controlling the ground beyond harvest in this case?

Did the landowner have knowledge that this time you would harvest the stalks? I could care less if it is in writing. Did he know? Could he have reasonably expected you to harvest the stalks?

Are we all willing to live and die by the Dec. 1 date or do we expect to be treated only in a one sided way? What's best for us only?

Here is the part I don't get. If you leased a farm to grow crops for grain, why do you thank hay should be included? Why not just bale his waterways and filter strips while you are there? You leased the farm didn't you?

Why is it that we never heard about this important issue from anyone but a displaced operator who failed to communicate the fact he intended to bale the stalks until they are disk down? Every case I know of the person was told they could/would be leaving BEFORE they decided to cut the stalks.

We have legal and illegal in this country. However, we must protect ourselves by looking at things and saying what is "reasonable". The pinheads that make the laws often don't have to live with them. What is legal may not be what I should do morally. I have to look at the face in the mirror every morning. I prefer to like the guy even if he does have a few flaws......

Just me of course, but I will deal with reasonable people without a legal contract. I will not deal with unreasonable people with a legal contract.

Tim

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)