AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wishek disk
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmertull
Posted 4/29/2009 21:02 (#697550 - in reply to #697202)
Subject: Had one for 12 years

South Dakota
I really struggled selling mine. I live in NE South Dakota and found it almost perfect for doing corn stalks but there were times when it was too wet. I put a 5/8" Gates Harrow on which chopped the stalks more and smoothed it out more for spring.
I rebladed it and kept it updated but saw that I would need to do something in the future and I decided to go to something completly different and that is a Salford RTS Tillage machine. I didnt get to use it the way I wanted with the late harvest but this spring it is really showing its capabilities with speed and soil penetrationa and trash problems. I still am in the process of finding out if I will miss my Wishek which I loved for over a decade. I really dont see the advantage of pulling a deep tillage unit at low speeds and high fuel costs when other tillage is working just as well for yields.
By the way I changed 4 bearings in all the time I had it. I was told never to overgrease the bearings. I was told to not grease more then once or twice a year. Maybe the newer models have different bearings but I dont think so. The disk is really heavy but the shafts are nutted on both ends so you dont have to take the gangs off to change bearings........Maybe I made a mistake.....where is that guys number?
Tull
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)