AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone know a bit about hard surfacing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mad Max Perf
Posted 4/24/2009 20:56 (#691853)
Subject: Anyone know a bit about hard surfacing?

North Western Alberta
Trying to hard surface my Dutch Paired Row openers on my air seeder, as they are worn out. I want to try to get another couple seasons out of them, as it is about 10 grand to replace them all.

I have some of the really expensive hard surface rod, the hollow stuff that kind of looks like gouger rod.... I think its an outer shell of hard metal, and inside is high tungsten material, and its all supposed to melt together. They are like, 16 bucks a rod or so. I cant get them to weld good at ALL. Get it hot enough that it will hold a decent arc, and it runs off like water. Try to set it to where it runs a decent bead, and you cant hold an arc.

Im thinking that maybe the cheaper hard surface rod would be the way to go. I go this stuff for free, from a welder that got it for free. But dang... I cant get it to weld worht a bean. I mean, not at all acceptible. Anyone use this stuff before or have any advice? I have seen the MIG hard surface wire used, and welded fine. This stuff is like trying to weld with solder rods... lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)