AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for those who use GPS.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JoshA
Posted 4/13/2009 16:36 (#678970)
Subject: Question for those who use GPS.....

Alberta, Canada
Question for those who use GPS..... do you ever skip passes?

With GPS, rarely do I go pass to pass except for cutting hay. Usually with the smaller implements (14' breaking disk behind a 4wd tractor), they're harder to get back in line than a wider implement (70' harrows biggest i've used). However, that being said, with a train (only one i've done is with a 54' air drill with the drill + seed tank + NH3 tanks and track leveler) it is still much easier to skip a pass.

Went for a couple passes with the neighbor's employee before I took over for him. I cringed at every headland, he was mere inches away from rubbing tires on hitches, and clipping branches/tempting ditches with the drill tips. We switched, and he rode with me for a pass to make sure I knew what I was doing. Got to the end I start leisurely turning, he freaks out that I'm way too far over, I'm skipping like, 100 feet! Pull in on the third row over without rubbing tires or trees, and as we continue, he realizes what I've done. Supposedly he'd never thought of it, as he's gotten so used to not having guidance over the years.

I tell any novice operators of mine to skip a pass or two seeings they don't really care to pay attention to what's going on behind them. I find it helps my stress, both when operating and when watching, and depending on the task I can usually limit my headland rounds down to just one pass, both with the 14' disk and the 36' disk! However, I do acknowledge that some implements are better designed for tight turns (ie, when cutting with my pull-type discbine I turned so sharp one tire moved forward while the other turned backwards, same for the 70' harrows).

Just a thought, maybe I'm crazy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)