AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you plan to move away when you retire?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/11/2009 09:15 (#676744 - in reply to #676707)
Subject: Retire? Farmers retire?

West Union, Illinois

I'll be honest, I don't think much about retirement ... as my retirement funding shows.  I am in a weird situation in that I got out of farming in my late 20's and got back in in my late 30's...just in time to start sending kids to college.  I need to start making a big push toward that end.  Anyway, back to the question.

I see no reason to move away.  Why would I want to?   I enjoy the change of seasons, my family and friends are here, I have no desire to move.  One thing we did do a bit different is our home is totally separate from the farm.  We live on 8 acres, about 3 of which are tillable if you strech the definition of the term, but I am not at the "farm".  If we would quit farming for whatever reason I am not in the middle of things.

Dad and Grandpa lived "on their farm"  Now we have one place with an old house and old buildings and grain bins setting in the middle of a 200 acre farm and another place with a newer house Mom lives in and the farm "center of operations" down the road a little ways. That illustrated the biggest problem with farmers retiring.  They HAVE to move if someone else is going to continue the enterprise.

I've noticed what appears to be a trend of farmers in my situation.  Their business is located elsewhere than their residence.  It may be just around the corner, but they can physically separate the farm from the home.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)