AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Pokey--I hear ya. The day at the Heil ranch (laughable)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

beh
Posted 4/7/2009 23:01 (#673006)
Subject: Old Pokey--I hear ya. The day at the Heil ranch (laughable)

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
What a day. Man, if this is the good life, I am uninterested.

Wake up this morning. 20 degrees at 7. Dad says it was 14 at 4:30. Hmm--wonder how the old wheat will take that one.

Ok--Shave, that actually went well. Walked out, dad is on the internet looking at temp maps. Not good. Not good at all. Way south. I get on Tractorhouse and browse the MacDon swathers. Turns out, a Canadian made product is more abundant and cheaper in Canada. From Dads computer I hear: Maybe we should buy a swather. Hmm--a simple mind (mine) and a great mind (dad) can think alike...

Ok--I am on the swather hunt. Talked to a billion salesman, or so it seems. Lots of return call promises. I got two. One from a respected member of this site. Good dude. Other wanted to sell me a Deere. A lot more money than I told him that I wanted to spend. And to boot it is not even what I want. Ahh frustration.

Noon rolls around. Leftovers! And they were Dang good, thank you Mrs. Heil Ranch.

Warmed up nice. Sixty degrees by the time we eat. Time to start on todays project. Man am I going to set the world on fire. For real. Go to shop, locate some parts. Good first five minutes. Untie the south doors. Push on the east one, the top leans in a foot. Bad news. So ladder time. I hate heights. All this lovely seasonal breeze broke the door where it mounts in the hanger. Fix that. Adjust both doors. They run a lot nicer.

Dad--needs to go to the bank. Can he take my pickup. Of course he can. Go to start it. Deader than a doornail. Batteries were new a month ago. OK, something else to fix. Well I will get it later. Getting late for Dad to go to town anyway.

So we attack the lights on the south end of the shop. One of four have worked for the last year. Broken sockets. Nice. Replace. Not that simple. New sockets don't have adequate wiring. Add wiring.

3:30 pm--Now to todays list. Neighbor calls. Mennonite fellar. Good good cat. They just moved in the house to the South of us. Has digital TV attenna. Do we want it. Yes. Digital is a joke. For us anyway. No local news, or no good local news since the switch. Go get attenna, tour very nice house. Very nice. Also help briefly move furniture. Visit.

5:30 pm--Now to todays project. Relocate parts, drag tools out. Supper time. Good looking supper as I sit down. Phone rings. Buddy. Banker buddy. Wants to talk to me about something aforementioned salesman has for sale. Good visit. Cover wheat crop. Cover frost. Talk about swather purchase.

Supper--now needs rewarmed. Rewarm and eat a fantastic home made beef and noodles. Angel food cake for desert . Fantastic.

6:45 pm--now time for todays projects. Went to work. Small frustrations. Holes don't line up. Cut a chain a link too short. Threads need cleaned.

As of 10 pm tonight, I am to where I should have been by 10 am. My pickup don't start. Obviously has a drain. My feederhouse is not. The shoe is not apart. But the doors work. I am not hungry. We have light. And you know this beer tastes dang good.

Ok--had to share....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)