AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for CATGUY
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CATGUY
Posted 3/13/2009 22:36 (#643641 - in reply to #643602)
Subject: RE: Question for CATGUY

Iowa
Can you get me a serial number and the part numbers that you are worried about? I am going to assume your serial number starts with the prefix 1DW. My biggest concern is IF the one oddball connecting rod is what CAT calls a "fractured rod" and the other 5 are machined rod caps. There were some weight differences between those different connecting rods and can cause vibrations. DON'T mix fractured rods and thier rod caps with engines that have machined rods and rod caps. The differences are easy to see, when the caps are separated from the rods, the machined rods have a completely flat surface. The fractured rods are very rough because they are basically broke(fractured) into two pieces. NOW, If you only are seeing a second set of machined grooves for the bearing "tangs", that is just a newer manufacturing procedure. I would like to have your serial number, so I can verify the part numbers against the CAT website. This is considered an "industrial" engine and I work only on truck engines, so I don't want to steer you in any wrong direction, that's why I want to verify things OR you can double check with your local CAT parts guy(different guy, hopefully) or call a different CAT dealer, too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)