AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4020 motor question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

houndog
Posted 3/5/2009 20:28 (#633041)
Subject: 4020 motor question

NC Ohio
I have a 4020 diesel that is giving me trouble. I will start at beginning. Last winter did a overhaul on motor. Had crank turned had rods resized,had head checked valves done. Put new cam bearings in plus new cam. new liners pistons rings all bearings. We had the pump and injectors redone about 4 months before overhaul so did not do anything with them. Got it all back together and sent it home to my brothers farm. He has a dairy farm and I just grain farm. He ran it last summer and brought it over after I was done with harvest and it was 3 gallon over full of motor oil and it had this black tar looking stuff all over the exhaust manifold it even had the muffler almost completly plugged if you took clamp off muffler and thottled up it would blow muffler off. So I drained the oil and took injector pump off and had it tested sure enough the bottom seal was bad leaking fuel into oil. So I think that will solve the fuel in oil problem but not sure about the black tar coming out exhaust. I am afraid the rings have not seated in yet. I did a compression test and all cylinders test right at 300 psi. Book says they should be 450 to 500 and you need to check pressure when engine is warm. They engine was not warm and had been setting in my shop for about a week with injectors out. So I am not sure how much different the would make. I least they tested all about the same. Do you guys think the really thinned out oil could have ruined the rings and they may never seat right now. The tractor is used on a mix wagon and really is never worked hard maybe half an hour a day. I think it needs ran harder to get rings seated in. But I am worried that it may be to late. We are cleaning out a building of corn right now with a grain vac and I am tempted to run it on vac for a load or two and see what happens. It doesn't start very good either even after it is warmed up but will mess with the timing a little and see if I can get it to start better. I am concerned more about the problem with exhaust. and the low compression. Do you guys think it is to late to break the motor in now? Any advice would be great. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)