AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cowpeas for seed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

OKfarmer
Posted 10/30/2008 22:17 (#494411 - in reply to #493537)
Subject: Re: Cowpeas for seed

SW of Enid OK
Cowboy is right and I think not to far from me. Pick a date and have at it. I usually stay with Chinese Reds. They stay verticle with only slight vining. I havested mine about a month ago. Average yeild is around 700lbs with some years around 1000lbs planting 25lbs.
I have never tried a burn down, was always told it would only make them "ropey" and cause them to wrap around everything. I will consider it in the future though. Reds are bad about popping open once they start maturing so you have to watch that. When I think 80% are dry we cut them. This year had a 2388 do it and it really complained. Alot of green material goes all the way through. Doing it this way, each load must be cleaned that night or put drying tubes in the trucks over night to keep the green stuff from heating the rest. I work closely with my seed co.
I have never done it, but they say that the best way is to swath them, let them dry, then pick the rows back up. Supposedly the added peas pay for the additional trip and effort.
I grew up on a M&M GB, stripping peas behind molboard plows, to keep the sand from blowing. (Hated that, maybe that's why I'm NT now :) Cowpeas are very versitile. Cattle love to graze them, they make great hay and good for the ground. There are some good pre-emerges out now too. Cowboys right, the seed does stay in the ground for several years. I've had some plants survive RU too. Somebody ought to pursue that.
I do have some C Red seed that's for sale....... Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)