AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn planting depth question....how much does it matter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/24/2008 13:42 (#489971 - in reply to #489632)
Subject: Re: achieving uniform depth

Driftless SW Wisconsin

"Consistent depth is only part of the equation for uniform emergence. You also need sufficient seed firming on *all* the seeds -- and by far the best way to do this is at the seed's location (e.g., using a Keeton) rather than squashing all the soil from the surface downward. Packing the soil over the seed only slows soil warming and delays emergence because the soil is more dense."

Matt,

By "sufficient seed firming" I think we are talking about seed to soil contact and lack of air pockets in the seed zone.

I also agree that "squashing all the soil from the surface downward" is not usually effective in creating seed to soil contact and removing air pockets especially in reduced tillage/non-potting soil conditions.

I disagree that the plastic wiper finger firmer and various rolling firmers such as used in your Kansas area are the only way to do that. Our Curvetine closing wheel was originally developed in your area and conditions and acheives seed to soil contact and removal of air pockets by a different means. The Curvetine functions a lot like we plant sweet corn in the garden. It also breaks up the sideway compaction and provides conditions where roots can develop laterally rather than just along the seed path.

Neither of the other "firmers" does anything to make it easier for roots to develop laterally rather than just along the seed path nor do they do anything to prevent the conditions that cause sidewalls to open back up.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 10/24/2008 18:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)