AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What options are a must on a Red Combine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jalopy
Posted 10/14/2008 22:28 (#482480 - in reply to #482111)
Subject: RE: What options are a must on a Red Combine?

NC IA
Yes please tell us what crops you are mostly harvesting. If you are 100% corn you do not want a chopper or rocktrap. If you do some soys yes you want them. '95 21s are pre-emission and are monsters, they run hard. 96s and newer run hard too just that they have a wastegated turbo and aneroid on the pump, more stuff to go wrong. But with 95s being the first year of the 21s some had electrical issues. I have a 96 21 and it (knock on wood) has been very reliable in the electrical dept.

And now I will go against the grain the really confuse ya, everyone is saying an AFX rotor is a must have, I disagree, there is nothing wrong at all with a standard rotor if properly set up. They are the absolute best for shelling corn, it is nearly impossible to have rotor loss with a standard rotor. And with disrupters and notched separator bars they work great in beans too.

Yield monitors are nice, some or most 21s/23s have factory yield monitors, but if you've never had one or are technically challenged then look for one without.

Be sure to find out the service history. There is a 2000 hr makeover and a 4000 hr makeover. At 2000 hrs you need shaker bushings, all augers, feeder chain, feeder floor, hydro drive hub, rasp bars, concaves. At 4000 hrs you need all that same stuff again plus cone, cage, all auger tubes, elevator housings, feederhouse rebuild, grain tank patched, auger bed overhaul, and probably a tired hydro. None of this is stuff to be scared of, everything is easy to fix, you just need to be aware of it and buy accordingly.

My 2188 has 6200 engine and 4400 sep hours on it, I put 600 hrs a year on and I plan on running it at least another year yet. They are great combines, you won't regret making the switch. Good luck in your search.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)