AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gilcrest 4wd axles on JD combine. Ever bust one?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mad Max Perf
Posted 10/6/2008 15:12 (#476103)
Subject: Gilcrest 4wd axles on JD combine. Ever bust one?

North Western Alberta
Well, apparently, I did last night. Went out this morning to service my pride and joy, and its just my pride right now. I dont remember even coming close to a bump or rut big enough to do this, nor does my wifey. But, when you look at the welds, they didnt penetrate AT ALL. Looks to be a MIG weld, all wire, no heat. Those frikkin MIGS, are garbage in the wrong hands. JD uses them on thier discs and equipment too, and I have seen a few break. Look at the support, at the bottom, that basically prevents this from happening. The weld didnt even stick to the parent metal, except for one little spot.
Frustrating thing, is I have been babying this thing, not pushing it at all, cause Im super proud of it, and its a WAY nicer combine than I imagined owning for quite some time, so I want to take care of it. Then, this goofy thing breaks. Im kinda puzzled. It doesnt have a hopper topper on it either, and probably never will have. Anyways, got a welder coming this after noon to fix er' up. And, I will get him to fillet the other side real well too, so it doesnt happen again. I even have a couple fresh cans of JD green so I can make it all pretty when hes done. Sheesh.... I tell ya... Positive spin to the whole note... I only have 40 acres left :o) --Bob

Edited by Mad Max Perf 10/6/2008 16:30

(busted combine axle 002.jpg)

(busted combine axle 004.jpg)

(busted combine axle 005.jpg)

(busted combine axle 006.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments busted combine axle 002.jpg (65KB - 769 downloads)
Attachments busted combine axle 004.jpg (44KB - 804 downloads)
Attachments busted combine axle 005.jpg (52KB - 870 downloads)
Attachments busted combine axle 006.jpg (60KB - 765 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)