AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

taking bad rod out of engine ....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 9/26/2008 03:09 (#469605 - in reply to #469180)
Subject: RE: taking bad rod out of engine ....

Kansas
Hmmm...................Ok, lets think about this.

Going to require the pan off to get to rod bolts.
Head off to pull piston.
Design a return line from an injector line that you (i'm pretty sure you don't want to destroy) are either going to have to modify or replace.
plug oil holes in crank or risk poor oil pressure
Have a serious balance issue at most rpms
Take a chance at busting the crank, not that it matters if it is fubar, but then you may poke a hole in the block and be down for sure then.

Instead of taking all this time to half ass it to run, why not find another crank. Just yank the engine out and drop a fresh cylinder and piston in the one hole. Have the crank built up and turned or get a used one. Put in a set of bearings and gaskets and then slap it back together and never look back??

If there is one thing I have learned over the years cobbling things together is they........
1: Never last as long as you need them to
2: Always come up with another dilemma that you never thought of and already have to much time and effort into it to turn back now so it becomes a completely expensive fustercluck.
3: ran long does more damage than if fixed right to begin with.

My thoughts tommy, maybe you'd get away with it for a small while but for what time and labor is worth today, I think I'd take a small amount to myself and fix it correctly.

I don't think the rewards are going to outweigh the risk this time.

Hell, can you just drop a 350 small block in there? *Grin*
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)