AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GS vs AL comparison test for yield estimation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 9/5/2008 15:33 (#452589 - in reply to #452499)
Subject: RE: GS vs AL comparison test for yield estimation

Colby, Kansas
Tom,

The key difference is how the two systems treat the response of flow rate vs. impact force on the sensor. AgLeader uses a polynomial response, Deere's is linear. This is why for calibration purposes Deere requires two flow points and AgLeader requires a minimum of 5 to complete a full calibration. Basically it's a trade off between accuracy and and ease of calibration. The truth of the matter is however, that in reality it's indeed a polynomial response, not a linear.

My concern with a linear type system (Deere) is your accuracy is going to vary a great deal in relation to where you set your calibration points. With a polynomial system you are going to have accuracy over a wider range of field conditions (if you calibrated properly).

For example this fall our combines will pick corn that ranges from 15 to 220 bu. / acre. Thats a large range to cover with a linear type response and expect any type of accuracy, maybe its too large for a polynomial but I'll say I've never had problems with that route.

My first multi-day experience with a GS system was this summer. The calibration procedure and resulting data did not leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling. In the interest of full disclosure however I have been a user of AL monitors for quite some time.

All through wheat harvest I just kept telling myself that fuzzy data was better than no data, I don't know I would either like to install an AL in that machine or convince the combine operators to alternate every other pass so that I could make a map with the one machines data.

Does the difference in yield monitors make a difference when your using the data for something. Possibly not, it depends on how you are using the data. My biggest concern is that the potential errors in a linear system are at really high and low flow rates, the areas that I have the most interest in.

I've rambled a lot here, I look forward to other's comments.

Lucas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)