AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AgCam vs. CabCam...the real differences!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NDfarmguy
Posted 8/18/2008 13:21 (#437868)
Subject: AgCam vs. CabCam...the real differences!

I think I have some useful information that people could use in determining which of these two cameras best suits their needs. I bought a CabCam first because it was just a little over $300 and it looked pretty tough. It wasn't too long after that I decided to spend the extra money and buy the AgCam.

Just a standard AgCam camera costs more than an entire system from CabCam, but there is a reason for it. I have been seeing quite an interest in the differences between the two cameras and I decided to do some side by side comparisons. I have video and pictures of these two cameras in the exact same application. As AgCam's tagline goes "You Can Clearly See the Difference"!

The CabCam has a lot of extra wires and cabling and there are different connectors and you have to figure out which one goes to which; its a real mess. They say easy installation, but that isn't true. The monitor is pretty good; it has a variety of mounting options; flush mount, base mount, etc. and it comes with a sunshield that is very cheap. If you put the monitor in the flush mount base be prepared to fight with it if you ever want it to come back out.

The monitor offers a variety of things, including zoom feature (which isn't zoom it just changes the orientation of the picture really). It has a reverse image feature that is accessed from the remote which can be handy if needed. We found there reverse option to be backwards. If you leave the screen normal the image is reversed and when you reverse it, then it appears normal. This can be changed though with hardwired events I beleive.

The camera included with the CabCam system is square-bodied and heavy. It can be mounted with the bracket or by itself. It has a lot more LED's but if you take a look at my pictures, the LED's don't help out at all. The distance in the dark is very little and the clarity of the image is poor too. Besides that the shape of the camera makes it very obvious and is hard to fit into into tight places.

This system has the potential to utilize up to 3 cameras though, which makes it nice for surveillance. Also, there standard lens is a 2.8mm configuration which gives it a little wider view and also distorts the true image.

The AgCam has an easy installation. Mount the camera (which comes with a magnetic base too), plug in the cable and hook up to the monitor and its done! They also offer different size monitors; the 9" is the best.

The monitor has reverse capability but you do have to go into the menu and change it, it can't be done from the remote like the other system. Overall, it is a very nice image though.

The AgCam camera is a small, lightweight-bodied camera that has a circular shape and is easy to put almost anywhere. There are less LED's, but the distance at dark and definition and clarity surpass the other camera by far. This camera as you mentioned must be very weatherproof. Its water proof. We submerged it in a lake to catch fish and the image was the best I have seen from a camera like this and its still working to this day.

The wireless option is really useful too. You said its really spendy but you can buy a wireless pair for $299 (which again is about the cost of one cabcam system), but its worth it. You can use it from your combine to grain cart or from your barn to your house to watch animals during calving season. Its an intuitive system that is worth the price.

Or you can spend the few hundred dollars for the Cabcam system and either continue spending that to replace it or just spend a little more to buy a quality product. For those of you with wives you should know how this goes. My wife about up and left me when I said I was gonna spend another $300 to get a new Cabcam. She said just buy the other one already and get it over with, I'm not gonna go through this everytime that pile of junk breaks down! So...I didn't really have a choice if ya know what I mean.

I will post a link to some of the pictures too.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

(outside bobcat am.jpg)

(outside bobcat am red car.jpg)

(outside bobcat am red car1.jpg)

(outside bobcat early am 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments outside bobcat am.jpg (38KB - 1164 downloads)
Attachments outside bobcat am red car.jpg (38KB - 1140 downloads)
Attachments outside bobcat am red car1.jpg (36KB - 1164 downloads)
Attachments outside bobcat early am 3.jpg (33KB - 1254 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)