AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grease gun couplers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mitchco
Posted 8/8/2006 20:04 (#33896 - in reply to #32728)
Subject: Here are the real numbers!!!!!

SW OH
First off, my brothers numbers were correct a few years ago but there have been some changes since. The 2600 pieces of equipment are what is listed with the lab that does analysis on our oil samples. I just looked and that number is now 2956 pieces. There are now 31 sister companys to JRJ, the main company. Of the 2956 peices, about 80% is serviced exclusively by just 2 of us. Also about 1000 pieces are either in the dead row or get used so little they get 1 oil change a year or less. Another 1000 run 5-6 days a week with some of the asphalt plant loaders starting at 5 AM Monday and running till 9 PM saturday only being shut off long enough to fuel. The rest fall somewhere in between. We have just lenthened our oil change intervals to 250 for engines, 750 for "other oils", and 1500 hours for hydraulic oil. It used to be 150, 600, and 1200.

As for how much grease I use it varies. I have a 400# barrel on my truck that usually lasts 5-6 weeks. My last one only lasted 23 days. We have been slow lately and if there is no oil to change I go around greasing everything I can find just to get my day in. I try not to grease stuff to the point of it slobbering all over the machine so it goes a long way. I also fill automatic greasers (mostly Beka-Max, some Interlubers, 1 Groenveld, and 1 Linclon) which are on about 75 machines, so the only thing to grease on them is the driveshafts. Operators are supposed to grease their equipment daily. Some do, some would not know which end to put on the fitting.

And now the answer everyone is waiting for..............I have tried coulpers from Cat, Deere, NAPA, Graco, and Alemite. The worst of all were big fat ones from NAPA. Those are the ones Hud was refering to me changing many times a day. They would only hold on for a few fittings and then you could not hold them on at all. We have had some fittings that are the problem not the coupler. The best ones I have found yet are from Alemite, P/N 308730-A. I have had the same coulpler for 800+ pounds and still holding with out leaking. I ordered 10 and still use the first one I put on. Needless to say all the guns at the farm have them now.           Mitchco
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)