AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grease gun couplers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Adam Suess
Posted 8/4/2006 21:17 (#32728)
Subject: grease gun couplers

Hanska, Minnesota
I've been having a lot of trouble with grease gun cuplers not sealing. I put new zerks on but that dosen't always help. Any one have better luck with one coupler vs another? I've been using lincon as that is what is sold local. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steve
Posted 8/4/2006 21:19 (#32729 - in reply to #32728)
Subject: RE: grease gun couplers

You're not alone. I think they're all junk........I would like to know too, if someone has found one that works like it should.
John Burns
Posted 8/4/2006 21:31 (#32732 - in reply to #32729)
Subject: Amen

Pittsburg, Kansas

Same here. Have used Lincoln and several other brands. Decided to try the cheap China ones - see what they will do. Doesn't seem like I ever replaced as many couplers as i have in the last few years.

I found out one thing that will ruin them - paint. Had a nearly new coupler go bad so decided to take it apart and see what gives. Was full of green paint chips off of a new machine I had greased. They must get some tiny Vietnamese lady to assemble those suckers cause I was never able to get it back together, hard as i tried. Decided my time was worth more and finally chucked it - of course it couldn't be one of the cheapies, had to be a Lincoln.

It helps if you can find a place that caries the 6 or 10 packs. They are about half price as buying one at a time. 

John 

BRIAN
Posted 8/4/2006 22:09 (#32745 - in reply to #32728)

Graymont Illinois

Long, long time ago I used to have a 5 Star tool man show up once a year or so.

Kind of miss that. Had some stuff that seemed high quality. Little things like silver pencils for using with torches. Welding rods for hardening.

Seems he had couplers for grease guns. Are we talking about the end you screw on grease gun hose? Seems a regular coupler had 3 " things to grab grease zerk". His had 4. Maybe my memory is following my eyes. Dang reading glasses.

Could go out and look at grease gun before posting but am feeling cocky tonight.

Brian

rambo
Posted 8/4/2006 22:17 (#32748 - in reply to #32745)
Subject: 5 star

Remsen, Iowa
I bought some of those 5 star 4 thingy grease gun ends. They were OK. The next year that he stopped, he asked if I had any of those 4 thingy grease gun ends left couse they were replacing them with 3 thingy ends couse they were no good. I did not have them exchanged couse they were working for me. Its been a few years since he's been here now that you bring him up.
bradmn
Posted 8/4/2006 22:38 (#32756 - in reply to #32748)
Subject: RE: 5 star

I also buy my grease gun ends from 5 star. They quit the 4 jaw and just went to the 3 jaws now. They seem to work for me. As soon as I start have trouble with them staying on, I just put a new one on. Maybe go through 6 or so a year, but I have a fair amount of greasing to do. I guess I haven't had any better luck with anything else.
boog
Posted 8/5/2006 01:40 (#32797 - in reply to #32745)
Subject: RE: 5 Star Tools

A Five Star Tool rep stopped by last week. This was the 1st time I ever have heard of them. I didn't buy anything but he left his card. Are their products any good? Anybody tried the 300 watt fluroescent bulbs that screw in a std light bulb base. At $25 a pop they seemed kind of high.
gbfarmer
Posted 8/4/2006 22:33 (#32754 - in reply to #32728)

SE MN
I bought some from Tractor Supply that were 4 jaw and they have worked good so far. Can't seem to keep the 3 jaw ones working very long. They have both 3 and 4 jaw couplers there.
BHTN
Posted 8/4/2006 23:31 (#32777 - in reply to #32728)
Subject: And all this time I thought that...

West Tennessee
you had to hold them all on by hand!! BH
Tom Russell
Posted 8/5/2006 06:51 (#32821 - in reply to #32728)
Subject: Re: grease gun couplers

McLeod County Minnesota
I have good luck with Lincoln couplers but I don’t start using them without loosening the tension by unscrewing the tip. Then, as the coupler or fittings wear, I gradually tighten the coupler.
John Burns
Posted 8/5/2006 13:14 (#32937 - in reply to #32821)
Subject: Re: grease gun couplers

Pittsburg, Kansas

I always did that so as to not bend the jaws when I had to pull it off of a plugged fitting under pressure. Jerking them off at high pressure will sure ruin them. Some of the other brand later couplings I have bought you can't do this, even though there is a knurled portion that makes it look like you can. Tried vice grips to get them to unscrew to no avail.

John 

Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 8/5/2006 08:31 (#32846 - in reply to #32728)

SW Ohio
H ave to ask Mitchco, he said something the other day about putting new tips on almost every day, but then he goes through 10-50#s of grease per day, five days a week.
rambo
Posted 8/5/2006 08:41 (#32851 - in reply to #32846)

Remsen, Iowa
What is he greaseing everday?
Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 8/5/2006 08:54 (#32854 - in reply to #32851)

SW Ohio
several of the 2600 pieces of equipment that two full time lube technicians keep up with.

(gpgjrj1 (400 x 300).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments gpgjrj1 (400 x 300).jpg (38KB - 247 downloads)
Ray (ecks)
Posted 8/5/2006 10:14 (#32886 - in reply to #32854)
Subject: at least make it believable if you're going to tell stories

2600 pieces with two men servicing them, you really don't expect us to believe that do you?

Even if they worked 12 hour days that is over 1300 pieces each, over 100 per hour. They couldn't even do that if they were sitting in one spot lined up. That would be just over 30 seconds each.

500 lbs of grease per day??? Maybe the company uses that much, but one man, get real.

Edited by Ray (ecks) 8/5/2006 10:18
Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 8/6/2006 10:25 (#33157 - in reply to #32886)
Subject: No bull

SW Ohio

Sorry Ray but it is true. the 2600 is actually an estimate based on the fact that they number their equipment which covers everthing from a Volvo bender to a sign board, I think the smaller stuff like quickie saws and jack hammers are not numbered so they still have a lot to keep up with. JRJ owns many many gravel pits etc. and some of the sister companies perform their own maintenance, also a lot of rental equipment, and most of the trucks are not done in house. I have no idea how many peices of major stuff they have but it is a lot, loaders, track hoes, grinder mills, rollers,pavers, off road dumps, TLBs, you name it. I think they have 25-30 mechanics full time in the shop and more on the road, It amazes me they can keep up with it all as they always seem a bit disorganized.
Back to greasing, I know they started getting grease in 55 gal drums because they go through so much, heck the waste tank on Mitchco's truck holds 400 gal and he sometimes empties it several times a day( all oils no antifreeze). He told me the grease tip quality has gone down, so they are trying different brands, but still puts new ones on daily or more. Wish he would jump in here so you could get it straight from him, but he is off to company picnic today and when he is here I keep him busy unloading hay.
Edit Just re-read you Ray and you need to fix that sticky button on your calculator, he doesn't service every piece of equipment every day AKA 30 seconds each, and i beleive I said ten to fifty pounds per day not 500.

http://www.jrjnet.com/

Edited by Hay Hud Ohio 8/6/2006 10:57
Illinois John
Posted 8/6/2006 11:24 (#33179 - in reply to #33157)
Subject: Hud, better edit your post?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I just looked at your post again, you said, "but then he goes through 10-50#s of grease per day, five days a week".  10 50# of grease is 500# per day, just as Ray said.  You must have meant something else?

I'm sure you just mistated the numbers, I'm not calling you a person who does not tell the truth. 

I made a post sometime back where the numbers didn't make sense either, had to reconsider and explain some of the facts I stated.  I'm sure you are in the same position.

Edited by Illinois John 8/6/2006 11:26
rambo
Posted 8/6/2006 12:48 (#33200 - in reply to #33179)
Subject: RE: Hud, better edit your post?

Remsen, Iowa
When I read that, I took it as using from 10 to 50 pounds of grease per day, not 10 fifty pound buckets of grease per day.
Illinois John
Posted 8/6/2006 15:42 (#33228 - in reply to #33200)
Subject: That makes more sense

Ok, ten to 50 pounds of grease per day makes more sense. 

Ray (ecks)
Posted 8/6/2006 17:30 (#33264 - in reply to #33157)
Subject: Don't have a sticky button, just reading what you wrote

Quote: "several of the 2600 pieces of equipment that two full time lube technicians keep up with"

Don't know how else to read that, to me that means you are trying to say that 2 full time lube trucks service 2600 pieces of equipment.

Quote "Have to ask Mitchco, he said something the other day about putting new tips on almost every day, but then he goes through 10-50#s of grease per day, five days a week."

The way you worded it, I took it to mean 10, 50 lb barrels of grease per day instead of 10 to 50 lbs per day.
Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 8/7/2006 08:04 (#33440 - in reply to #33264)
Subject: RE: Don't have a sticky button, just reading what you wrote

SW Ohio
Still true, what is amazing is that a few years ago it was all done by one man(at least his boss thought it was getting done, with two now the repairs due to lube failure have gone way down). I guess I should not have used a dash between 10 and 50, sorry about the confusion. Mitchco does NOT do the daily greasing of each piece, but does do 200, 400, etc. hourly oil changes and other lube type maintenance, so while he waiting for all the finals to drain, he greases. Like I said the equipment is all numbered, thats how they came up with 2600, which includes orange barrell trailers, sign boards, and other stuff that doesn't take much lubing, and they are using a lot of the automatic greasers especially on loaders.
With all that waste oil you would think they would be using it somehow, like heating the shop maybe? Well they plan to now that they have a bigger waste oil storage tank----

(IMAG0001 (800 x 600).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0001 (800 x 600).jpg (88KB - 228 downloads)
Illinois John
Posted 8/5/2006 10:14 (#32887 - in reply to #32854)
Subject: OH, my aching back!

I had trouble keeping up with farm equipment maintence, not my favorite thing to do.  Even with another person to help, the idea of greasing 2,600 pieces of heavy equipment sounds like something I would be asked to do after I die, assuming I did not live a good life and went to the afterlife in the wrong place.

On the coupler part, 4-jaw were always better for me than 3-jaw, I looked for them often, and bought several when they were available.  Our local Rural King Farm Supply has them off and on, and Shoup had them in the catalog once, don't know about the new one.

My Lincoln electric gun had a 4-jaw when I bought it, but bought a new one this year, it came with a 3-jaw. 

Applicator
Posted 8/5/2006 10:35 (#32896 - in reply to #32887)
Subject: 4 jaw couplers at NAPA

The last half-dozen I got from NAPA (P/N 715-1151) have four jaws. There is also a seal in it.
gr ecks
Posted 8/6/2006 09:12 (#33136 - in reply to #32728)

I have always had good luck with Lincoln couplers, but the last one I got isn't any better than the cheap things I used to use years ago.
Mitchco
Posted 8/8/2006 20:04 (#33896 - in reply to #32728)
Subject: Here are the real numbers!!!!!

SW OH
First off, my brothers numbers were correct a few years ago but there have been some changes since. The 2600 pieces of equipment are what is listed with the lab that does analysis on our oil samples. I just looked and that number is now 2956 pieces. There are now 31 sister companys to JRJ, the main company. Of the 2956 peices, about 80% is serviced exclusively by just 2 of us. Also about 1000 pieces are either in the dead row or get used so little they get 1 oil change a year or less. Another 1000 run 5-6 days a week with some of the asphalt plant loaders starting at 5 AM Monday and running till 9 PM saturday only being shut off long enough to fuel. The rest fall somewhere in between. We have just lenthened our oil change intervals to 250 for engines, 750 for "other oils", and 1500 hours for hydraulic oil. It used to be 150, 600, and 1200.

As for how much grease I use it varies. I have a 400# barrel on my truck that usually lasts 5-6 weeks. My last one only lasted 23 days. We have been slow lately and if there is no oil to change I go around greasing everything I can find just to get my day in. I try not to grease stuff to the point of it slobbering all over the machine so it goes a long way. I also fill automatic greasers (mostly Beka-Max, some Interlubers, 1 Groenveld, and 1 Linclon) which are on about 75 machines, so the only thing to grease on them is the driveshafts. Operators are supposed to grease their equipment daily. Some do, some would not know which end to put on the fitting.

And now the answer everyone is waiting for..............I have tried coulpers from Cat, Deere, NAPA, Graco, and Alemite. The worst of all were big fat ones from NAPA. Those are the ones Hud was refering to me changing many times a day. They would only hold on for a few fittings and then you could not hold them on at all. We have had some fittings that are the problem not the coupler. The best ones I have found yet are from Alemite, P/N 308730-A. I have had the same coulpler for 800+ pounds and still holding with out leaking. I ordered 10 and still use the first one I put on. Needless to say all the guns at the farm have them now.           Mitchco
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)