AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The evolution of our grain elevator (2100kb of pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmerknowsbest
Posted 3/25/2008 17:51 (#341639)
Subject: The evolution of our grain elevator (2100kb of pics)

Morrisburg Ontario
Howdy

I have dug through almost every photo album my parents have. Ag photos are few and far between. I think I take more photos of our farm in a single work day then they have in my entire life. But I'm not bitter. HAHA

Please note that the photos from the past are scanned into the computer so the quality will not be as good as digital photos of today.

Well, we start in about 84 with 2 grain augers, a small SuperB dryer, the hopper tank, and 2 grain bins.

In this photo is the Ford 6600 and brand new dump wagon. The 6600 was traded for the TW-10, which was just traded for a TS130A. Quite the lagacy of blue. The corn was run through a grain cleaner. That dumped into the auger run by the 2-60.

At the time we had the 1440 still.

This is before the first blower system was put in. Very labor intensive way of farming. The next few photos will explain.

This was corn shipping time in the summer of 86. At this time we had 3 augers, a 50 electric, 60pto, 80pto.

Those of you that have seen photos of the current elevator, you can maybe see it starting to take shape.

In the previous photo you can see how everything was filled. The electric auger stayed put. It could fill East bin directly, fill the cross auger to fill West bin. Or hit that down spout that would fill a dump wagon. That dump wagon would then go and dump into the 80ft grain auger to fill either, small south, small north, or big big bin. (no joke, it is still called that) See why I said labor intensive?

Not a great deal changed for many years. After one year of filling those three bins one wagon at a time. A blower system was added. This really reduced the amount of work that had to be done in the fall. No photos of the elevator like that, but it was that way until 1996 when we did something. We bought a 450ac farm that produced 200+bpa corn and 70bpa beans. We were in great need of more storage.

A big hole was dug and that steel was put in the hole.

Check out the one year old 6200. A loader tractor with a cab, we\'re cooking with gas now!

Then the cement started to arrive. There was hundreds of those orange cement trucks arriving.

The footing

More steel, more forms to make the walls

Corn dryer arrived

A crane to do the heavy lifting

Overhead frame goes up

Our grain cleaner arrived and was installed before the building went up

More and more hardware being installed and the cleaner room/office went up

The 30ft leg went up. This leg takes corn from the dryer to the cleaner

Our overhead hopper tank was constructed and lifted to its new home

Shed looking more like a shed

Finishing touches to the tunnel

We were very lucky they were re-surfacing roads in Morrisburg, we got tonnes and tonnes of fill

Bought a bin at an auction and brought it home. Now our fines bin

Both pieces put back together and on the pad

Few things missing...like the main leg...:)

The Patz belt (too slow and was destroyed in the ice storm) for unloading the bins is put in.

Gravel put in and packed solid with the 2 tonne vibrating packer

Red dog pole put in

The leg

Attaching the top to the bottom

The fancy box of buttons our truly insane electrical inspector made us install

Now please note the date in this photo. The pit was only installed November 1st. We did not get the first corn through this until Nov 16th that year. Had that year been this year, we would have only got 2 days of combining done before the snow arrived. We would have lost our entire crop.

Here is where we are today. The storage has been almost doubled since then and will be expanded again in the next few years.

New wet tank. 60ft leg to fill the dryer

Well I hope you enjoyed that trip through history as much as I have.

Warren
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)