AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shark tooth or shredder grates for CIH combines?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SteveOH
Posted 3/23/2008 18:36 (#340234 - in reply to #340112)
Subject: RE: Shark tooth or shredder grates for CIH combines?

http://hy-capacity.com/index.cfm?chapter=parts&page=results&grp=106...
Hy Capacity apparently still makes the sharktooth.
I've run one quite a few years and am quite happy with what it accomplishes.As with many attachments,personal satisfaction depends on what you are trying to accomplish,so I will also admit that some have tried to use the grate in this area and hate it.
We only use ours for corn and soybeans on a standard rotor machine with a beater.What I like are the following:
Soybean straw behind the shredder comes out more mangled or shredded,rather then cut up into short pieces like out of the factory chopper.The longer shredded stalks provide better ground cover for erosion control through the winter and stick together more to slow floating into piles along small field ponding, Now the differences are not large , glaring, see from the road occurances, but we feel there is a definate edge to the shredded residue. Come spring it is hard to tell which machine did which round in a field where a neighbor teamed up for harvest, me with the shredder and him with his chopper as far as decomposed residue and planting problems.
In corn the shredder helps with rotor loss as shucks that may hide some kernals and ccarry them out are cut open.
Shredder is a lot less wearing on the machine than a chopper, and maintenance is pretty easy with it laying out on the ground.

I like to run a keystock grate in the first postion, the shredder in the middle and a slotted gtrate in the back, with green maize bars on the rotor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)