AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any ideas how to get a weight braket off?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GinNB
Posted 3/24/2008 08:57 (#340660 - in reply to #339793)
Subject: RE: Any ideas how to get a weight braket off?

Apart from using the hot chisel, whack the bolts with a sledge or really beefy brass drift.  Check salvage yards, especially if you're near places that might have brass boat driveshafts.  I've got a one foot length of brass rod just over an inch in diameter that'll take a really serious hit and not mark stuff up.  After that, use a 6pt socket on a stiff ratchet (3/4" drive if you've got it), put a pipe on it, put torque on the ratchet, and whack it with a good heavy deadblow hammer.  To steady things up, especially if you use a short socket extension, brace the extension with an axle jack so you can either jump on your pipe or put serious torque on it when you whack it with your deadblow hammer without twisting the socket crossways on the nut.  A piece of firewood (4' if you're getting serious) works well in place of a deadblow hammer sometimes.  I had some lugnuts on a C6500 that I had to use the axle stand/pipe/jumping trick on, and had to replace the 3' pipe with a 7 footer!  3/4" drive CP impact wrench wouldn't touch 'em...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)