AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I cheap ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fla Veggie Farmer
Posted 3/15/2008 23:21 (#334857 - in reply to #334095)
Subject: Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please,

Southeast Florida
Isn’t the operating cost of farming going right up with the commodity prices? I’m not up with everything it takes to grain farm but I am up with what it cost me to operate a vegetable operation. I’m going to double crop some of my sweet corn, watermelon and cantaloupe ground this year with soybeans just to utilize some of the leftover NPK. I’ve put together a budget sheet just like I’d do for veggies and the profit margins doesn’t look so good if you do total closure of your expenses. I don’t agree with any sort of any kind of “base payment” and I hope like hell they don’t pass the farm bill that has vegetable crops at all! This would be an absolute disaster for the industry. I really hope they don’t pass any kind of farm bill for “base payments” period. There’s no reason why they grain business shouldn’t be like the vegetable business; supply and demand.

I’m just going to sit back and wait on some cheap tractors in a couple of years because some of these guy’s can’t budget their self and see what it’s actually costing them to make a crop. A lot of the ones I’ve talked to just see teen beans, $5 corn and $7 rice. They forget to see the $3.50 diesel (today what about tomorrow), $485 potassium chloride, $400 urea, $850 diammonium phosphate along with land owner wanting higher rent. I use a lot of potassium nitrate and the last price I got for it was $1,080 per ton. There’s no reason for fertilizer to be this high other than greed from the supplier.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)