AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Accident - broken wheel lug bolts - how?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jerry NCMO
Posted 3/7/2008 14:12 (#328270 - in reply to #328210)
Subject: RE: Accident - broken wheel lug bolts - how?

I had a similar experience last summer, driving down a divided highway when I felt a large bump followed by a sinking feeling in the right rear of the s10 blazer I was driving. I had lost the wheel, along with the brake drum, and brake shoes - everything down to the brake backing plate (of which 2 inches were ground off the bottom by the time it stopped). The lugs were all broken off at the surface of the axle flange. They had clearly not been running loose as this would have easily shown in the holes of the aluminum wheels. What I decided it must have been is that I'd had the rear tires replaced a couple weeks earlier and they must have overtightened the nuts with the impact wrench. The strange thing is I watched them do the job and they used the torque limiting socket extension and then checked the nuts with the torque wrench, but I recall that none of the nuts moved when checked with the torque wrench. Their procedure insured that the nuts were not loose, but not that they were not over-torqued.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)