AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will a 8" Auger Fit Most Bin Openings?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Duane in ND
Posted 3/5/2008 07:56 (#326209 - in reply to #326011)
Subject: RE: Will a 8" Auger Fit Most Bin Openings?

North central North Dakota

I have a couple of bins that got modified years ago that are set up to drop the grain out the door - just has a slide on the door.  The grain vac has worked OK to just suck it form the opening but is slow.  I ended up getting some of the grain ports to mount in the bin wall.  I think they are made by Tought T down by someplace near Cooperstown.  Rott Keller in Fargo sells a different brand also.  They are not installed yet but looks like you could put a 10" auger with a safety cage into them.  They also have a cover that should seal up well enough if you have air tubes.

My Brandt 8" auger does fit through most holes but it is a tight fit.  I usually use my 7" Brandt auger which has more give.  My 8" Alloway Westgo has a larger cage than the Brandt.

One trick I started doing years ago was to wrap a truck mud flap around the auger as I was putting it in the bin.  Kept the grain from being pushed out with the flighting as I was winching the auger in.  I usually had a come - a - long to help pull the auger into the bin.  When the auger was in fast enough, I then took the mudflap off (which is just sitting by the bin opening even though the auger cage in now inside in the bin more).

I know what you are talking about and have tried different things on those old Montgomery Wards bins and others.  I do not like to use those old small bins without take outs but sometimes you do what you have to do.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)