AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blending E85 and Reg. Gas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

vvv
Posted 3/5/2008 01:05 (#326130 - in reply to #325836)
Subject: RE: Blending E85 and Reg. Gas

West Central MN
I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 with the 6.0 engine. It is not a Flex Fuel engine. I have been mixing E-85 and regular fuel since the pickup was new. It was always an inexact science trying to mix the two, but it seems like anything over about 50% would cause the check engine light to come on.

Our local Coop put a blender pump in last fall. From this pump you can get E10, E20, E30, E50 and E85. I have been using nothing but E50 in this pickup since November when the pump was turned on. I have had absolutely zero problems and it has started just fine in temperatures down to -25.

As far as mileage goes, it is definitely is lower on the E50 blend but it is not far off from the crappy mileage the thing would get if it was running on straight unleaded. The E50 has been running anywhere between 50-60 cents less than straight unleaded so my figures show that it has been about a wash financially.

FWIW, we have a Chrysler Town & Country Mini-van which is also not flex-fuel. We have been running the E30 blend in that vehicle since the sensor seems to be a little more sensitive. If we try to run E-50 the check engine light comes on right away.

Edited by vvv 3/5/2008 01:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)