AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First test of home brew rust buster.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 2/23/2008 20:12 (#317671)
Subject: First test of home brew rust buster.

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Remember the thread a while back about the rust buster made from a 50% / 50% mix of Acetone and ATF ?

http://u15205752.onlinehome-server.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4...

The guys on another site claimed this stuff did better than all the commercial rust busters.

Well, today we got a chance to try the stuff. My cousin had the wide Schwartz front axle on his 450 IH split the center tube in half. We needed to get the adjustable spindle stubs out of the broken tube.
I gave both ends a good hosing with a little pumper bottle. first thing I noticed was how well this stuff wicks into a rusted joint, It would be gone before I had a chance to squeeze the pumper again, surprising for something that is 1/2 ATF, but Acetone seems to be a heck of a solvent.

I expected we would be in for a couple of hours of heat and beat to get those close fitting axle tubes apart, as they have not been moved for nearly 40 years.

We let the solvent soak for about an hour while we broke for dinner, When we came back I used a short handle 4 pound hammer to try moving those rusty axle parts. The parts moved with the first blow, and the stubs separated from the tube at about 20 hits. The stubs were covered with about 20 inches of dirty rust where the tubes were telescoped into each other, but it was 90% saturated with the Acetone/ ATF mix. Had it soaked a few hours, I think it would have been 100%

Was I lucky or does this stuff work that well ?

If you mess with this stuff, be careful. Acetone goes through skin like gasoline through tissue paper, and as the Material Safety Data Sheet says, It is such a powerful solvent that it will "de fat" your skin and cause irritation. The stuff will also attack your nervous system as well as being very flammable.
Use it with a good pump bottle that does not dribble back on your hand, and don't breathe much of the fumes..
I have a bit of a headache and sore throat this evening which I suspect is from this stuff, BUT some incredibly rusted parts separated with little effort.
A good name for the stuff might be what I saw on another site, where another fellow was selling his own home brew rust buster, he called the stuff "farty Artie's nut loosner".

Edited by Jon Hagen 2/24/2008 13:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)