AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hey Hay Wilson,are you going to plant more alfalfa this year?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 2/19/2008 12:00 (#313687 - in reply to #313591)
Subject: RE: Hey Hay

Little River, TX
Dave, the wider rows are more or less standard here. I will probably plant so my tires can run in the middles. The bunches will fill into the middles anyway.

Initially I expect to fertilize much as I do bermudagrass hay meadows. Apply 400 lbs/A of anhydrous or enough for 6 T/A production. Regardless of the forage type 12% CP will use 50 #s/A N. My primary goal is hay that will sell quickly.

Depending on soil and plant analysis I apply 500 lbs Murate of Potash and 1500 lbs/A of K-Mag (0-0-22K-11Mg-22S) when ever the plant analysis drops below my criticle level. For EG I have no idea what that is. Not yet anyway. Probably in the 2% K range. The potash is put out every 3 to 5 years.

I usually put phosphate down with the AA. Usually 200 lbs/a or 10-34-0.

Neil,
I am not thinking of growing it for seed. I will be planting a registered variety and do not think it fair to the fellow who developed and is marketing Texas Sue Eastern Gammagrass. May try to allow it to go to seed for dove feed though.

If young DR Mari-Vaughn Johnson wishes to publish her findings I will be happy to bask in the reflected sunshine. If her position is tenuous then her supervisor may wish to publish their findings. I am just too old to consider all that stuff. Who knows maybe when I retire at 95 and go to school for a Graduate Degree. Probably be kicked out of 4 or 5 universities before I find one that can stand my contrary ways.

My major reason for the bunch grass is to filter all the junk that floats down a dry channel from drifting into my good hay fields. About the only thing that has not floated into my hay fields has been a dead human.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)