AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hey Hay Wilson,are you going to plant more alfalfa this year?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 2/19/2008 07:10 (#313521 - in reply to #313363)
Subject: RE: Hey Hay Wilson,are you going to plant more alfalfa this year?

Little River, TX
The answer is more or less YES.
I will plant the first field back to alfalfa this September. I have a neighbor raising corn on the other ground. I was getting nervous, not hearing back from the seed people. Yesterday I called Forage Genetics and they had not forgotten my little order. I want to plant Ameristand 802 for its wet foot root rot resistance.

I was planning to put in 16 acres of Tiffton 85 but decided against it on advise from Overton. The ground is flooded more than T 85 likes.
I had thought about eastern gammagrass or switchgrass. Talked to the switchgrass people at Blackland Research the flooding probability. I also plan to do block fertilizer treatments so the Experiment Station people can do some research on growth with close to zero N, about half rate, full rate, and double rate. Then they will cut every week with their little plot harvester to determine yield and quality. Probably will allow an acre to go the full season also. The eastern gammagrass will be planted after the first good killing frost this Fall. Probably in 36" or 42" rows using a corn planter.

The amounts of, timing and managing of fertilizer used here will vary from what you would do. I can apply all my nitrogen in the winter and have it persist till the grass uses it all up. No percolation or leaching here.
Because of our calcareous soil having an excess of calcium phosphate does not work the same as it does in East TX.
With our heavy clay soil we need a high potassium level in our soil test, if we want the crop to have any chance at all of adequate K levels. Some would call our potassium soil test levels excessively high, when in fact they are marginally deficient.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 2/19/2008 07:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)