AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pa Professional Crop Producers Conference
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 2/11/2008 13:24 (#307031 - in reply to #306889)
Subject: It was not all that long ago I was praising PS to high heaven

Little River, TX
Probably 10 years or more ago, I was wondering why with very high potassium soil test levels my alfalfa did not persist well and the plant analysis was descending rapidly below 2.00% K.

Cruising the Penn State web site, I came upon a table for adjusting the desired soil test levels of K & Mg based on CEC.

You might have heard my whoop of delight! This was when PS reported soil test results as lbs/acre. Took a little translating to ppm K & ppm Mg but it worked.

Was using the TAMU Soils Lab at the time. TAMU does not believe in CEC values so I had to compute the CEC value my self. No problem just put the equation in the spread sheet template and we were in business. It was TAMU's refusal to use sodium bicarbonate/Olsen chemistry for our 8 pH soils that move me to A & L. So in short nowTAMU has minimal credability for our soil conditions.

PS & TAMU are not the only home for political correctness. As long as they keep it to afermative action, and liberal arts I have no problem. When political considerations color research findings I become cautious.

So let the record reflect I appreciate the efforts at Virginia, & West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesee, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, folr sure Oklahoma, NewMexico, Kansas, Nebraska, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, and even California.
I contribute dues money to KY, NM & CA forage orginizations to recognise their forage information contributions. Till Oklahoma's forage associations folded I contributed to them also.

Am I mad at Penn State? No. Disillusioned? Yes.

Am I upset with TAMU? Definitely.

Any information gleaned from TAMU and now PS will not be incorporated into my operation with out a different source for confermation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)