AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 2/10/2008 10:21 (#306102 - in reply to #305895)
Subject: Just what I would do.

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

There’s a lot not mentioned in the post.  I’m not “organic” but the principles involved are exactly the same anyway.

Was there a written contract when your friend agreed to transition the farm to organic? Was everything discussed in the contract, years of rent, price/acre, cost of inputs to transition,  expected yield production or lack there of in transitioning to organic?  Was it in writing what each signer’s responsibilities and expectations were? 

All I’m pointing out is (working under the assumption your friend knew) the parameters, length of rent, inputs, expected returns, etc. etc. etc..  He was paid for his work/effort/money to transition the farm to organic. What happens after that is open to renegotiation. Unless of course there was a written agreement extending the rent to make it possible for your friend to take advantage of the new “status” of the ground.

If your friend’s signature is required to certify the farm “organic” and he had been “carrying the brown smelly end of the stick” for the years involved in the transition to organic,  YOU can BET I would be charging a healthy monetary amount for my signature.  And, I would be explaining to both the Rentor, and the Relative involved.  (I would also have the written records to back up the actual cost associated with the transition to organic)

The one thing I wouldn’t do is throw out a bunch of weed seed, fertilizer, etc.. to take out my frustrations if I thought I got screwed over. I always assume I am adult enough that I should be watching out for and protecting myself when I enter into an agreement. If I know and accept the parameters of an agreement before entering into an agreement, then I don’t like the outcome 2-3-4 years later I take the responsibility for not protecting myself to begin with.  I am the type of person that accepts my responsibility to protect myself before entering in to some ambiguous situation. 

IF the “other guy” pulls some krap deal after entering into a situation you bet I will call B.S. on “bait and switch”, but I wouldn’t be sneaking around throwing weed seed, fertilizer etc out on the ground. (to me,, that’s what little kids do in the schoolyard to “get even” and I believe I’ve grown beyond that)

I value my character, integrity and respect too much to play “schoolyard get even games”. I may not be RICH,, but I’ve got what the richest Producer in the world can’t buy.

That said, I’m not jumping off the fence on one side or the other on this one. Just stating how I would conduct myself and my actions.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)