AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Outback and Sdrive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 12/31/2007 22:42 (#272414 - in reply to #272230)
Subject: RE: Outback and Sdrive

Pittsburg, Kansas

I would agree 100% with what Jake said. We plant all our no-till double crop beans with it no problem but you are going to get the occasional drift in the guess row width that just makes it unsuitable for mismatched header/planter combinations on crops like corn. And the rows have just enough wiggle in them that MOST people will not be satisfied planting something like corn. Like Jake we drill all our wheat and no-till beans without using markers but on corn we still use the markers unless using Baseline RTK. If you are a guy that takes great pride in his straight picture perfect rows planting with WAAS is NOT going to make you happy. If you have the attitude that crooked rows put more plants in the field (I know, it's not true, but you get my point, if you are not real particular about being picture perfect but more concerned with profitability only) you are probably going to think planting with WAAS is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We have a few customers that do plant corn with it. From an economic standpoint with matched header/planter it is probably fine but most farmers...... how do I say it...... they like a little more perfection than WAAS can offer. I'm the same way. Even planting corn though, we use the Outback guidance in conjunction with markers. It really helps keeping the "dog leg" out of a field that has a slanted point row side by watching the light bar while doing that point part or even engaging the eDrive for a ways. May have to occasionally shift the track a few inches to get it matched back up with the markers. The advantage to keeping the light bar pretty close in line with the markers is that if we forget to put a marker down, just push the button and engage eDrive and let it plant that pass. It is also good enough that if we get wind and dust that blocks vision temporarily instead of stopping in the middle of the field, just engage eDrive and let it take over. So even though we don't normally let the eDrive with WAAS plant the corn, there are times, since it is already on the tractor, that we will put it to use. Night when we cant see the mark good is another example.

Then if you decide you just cant do without planting the corn with eDrive but the accuracy is not good enough to suit you with WAAS, just order a Baseline and your in business with corn too.

It is a good system. I will not say it is better or worse than other systems because frankly I have not used those systems and it would be conjecture on my part. But I have used the Outback system and can say it is a good system. It works.

John 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)