AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dang waterhemp regrowing, corn almost canopied
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

greenswede
Posted 6/23/2006 00:28 (#21428)
Subject: Dang waterhemp regrowing, corn almost canopied

Urbandale Ia, (but originally from SE IA)
I've got one of those fields this year that everything seems to be going wrong in. Long story, but I'll spare the details.
RR corn, sprayed w/Lumax & RUP about the first few days of June. Thought the stuff was dying awfully slow. We've been dry until today, but don't think stuff would have been too drought stressed yet back when it was sprayed. Now, it looks like most of the waterhemp is starting new growth and the roots seem to look fairly healthy. The whole idea behind this program was to control the waterhemp. 2nd year I've farmed the place and knew it had lots of waterhemp pressure.
Hate the thought of sprayer running through the field again, didn't do much damage the first trip. I don't think the applicator has a unit with drops either. Another day or two and that would definitely be a requirement. We're going to have a serious discussion tommorrow. I'm going to suggest re-spray w/ RUP ASAP.
The clinker that bugs me is, I no-till everything else, but this was second year corn, so I hired a custom operator to deep rip last fall and field cultivate this spring. Trouble is, the guy has a 400 hp Cat and he pulled in and field cultivated it in the rain without me knowing. Actually, sent his hired man and I don't think he had the sense to quit.
Have other corn on corn that is no-till, passed this stuff up weeks ago. Only put 1/3 rate of Lumax down as preplant, planning on 2nd pass w/RUP, but the field stayed clean and didn't even have to respray. So, I spent all of this extra money to make a big mess right out where God & everybody can see it.
Guess I'm not realy asking for advice, just venting! Guess I didn't spare ALL of the details, but there is more to it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)