AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me about winter canola, i know nothing...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Rosco
Posted 10/31/2007 18:51 (#229946 - in reply to #229382)
Subject: RE: Tell me about winter canola, i know nothing...

Galahad, Alberta
6 lbs per acre is lots, I grow hybrids and try for 4.8-5 lbs on 9" centers. If you get it on a little light, don't sweat it. I've seen 3lbs per acre turn out fine if it isn't too deep. Speaking of that, you want to seed about 3/8 to 1/2 inch deep, no more. Just lay it on top of the moisture. Canola needs lots of N and toss in some sulphur too. If you get 40 bpa wheat, plan on 30 bpa canola max. It likes cooler climates than wheat. Canola basically follows the soybean prices, and right now it is about $9.75 -$10 at the bin, depending on how far you are from a crusher. Most canola is sold to the crushers, and you can sometimes get a premium for oil content, so know that before you try to market it. Canola weighs 50lbs/bu. Straight cutting works, but there can be a lot of loss if you get a big wind when the plant is just about dried down and the pods are brittle. Swathing at about 50% color in the pod and letting it cure in the swath is the safest way in my opinion. Depending on variety, you should be able to swath about 12-14" high. The pod section starts at about 20" from the ground in an average year. RR spring varieties tend to be a bit shorter. The straw and stubble are useless for bedding or feed. The other posters are right about bugs. Canola attracts every pest known to man and some new ones turn up each year as well. Let us know when you start harvest. Setting a combine for canola is an art form in itself, and storing canola is grey hair as well.
Aren't you happy you asked!!!!
Rosco
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)