AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me about winter canola, i know nothing...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Matt NCOK
Posted 10/30/2007 23:36 (#229565 - in reply to #229382)
Subject: Raise some, you'll know even less!

This will be our 3rd attempt at raising RR winter canola. I would say our area has about the same yield goal as yours, you should expect 1500lb-2500lb canola. WE have an acreage contract with Producers Oil Mill in OKC for 15 cents/lb. Most important thing to know, even though others might tell you something else......every insect, bug, worm, varmint, critter, and scourge of the earth loves canola, fall, winter, spring or otherwise, scout it several times per week, even if you have Prosper FX seed treatment. Just finished spraying ours for cabbage worms, which "rarely if ever reach an economical threshold for treatment" according to the literature. The year before that a multitude of insects, mainly grasshoppers, ate it off faster than it would emerge. Raised 40bu milo that year. Year 1, ignorance was bliss, raised 1750lb canola at 12 cents, damn this is easy.

We straight cut ours the first year with a draper and JD flex header. You don't need a flex head, you will be harvesting it 12-18 off the ground. I think we will probably swath ours and pick it up this year, if we can. Stubble has now feed value, just a bunch of sticks.

Edited by Matt NCOK 10/31/2007 07:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)