AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bt pollen killing aquadic bugs??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 10/10/2007 06:50 (#217137 - in reply to #216996)
Subject: RE: Bt pollen killing aquadic bugs?? target pests?

Chebanse, IL.....

OK...they should study the problem. If someone wants to pay them to do the research, then study away. The question to always ask is...what about the alternative? I realize that's not their goal however.

I'm guessing these guys are looking at ECB Bt? That's been around for about 15+ yrs now? So far it knowingly kills European Corn Borer....that's it. Some Bozo @ Cornell NY university claimed it killed Monarchs, but that was found to be wrong. So now it "maybe" kills caddisflies (which I've never heard of before this moment), but that is still to be proven, I feel.

However, I believe most farmers & applicators & chemical people realize that the pesticides they would use to replace Bt (any Bt!) have a much greater & longer list of susceptible pests...some are target pests, some inadvertant. One of those inadvertant victims is often the human applicator/handler/farmer, or possibly even the consumer if label guidelines & rules are not followed correctly (application before harvest).

I'm guessing the scientists studying this case could eat triple stack leaves, silks, & tassels all day long & not get sick from the Bt. Actually, one of them should try that. But, I can guarantee that any/all of them would not make it very far munching on Aztec or most other chemical pesticides.

Or-we could use none of them & hope for $50/bu corn. But, look @ the anger aroused even here on this NNAT when corn approaches $4.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)