AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Base Saturation and %Mg
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Silver Shoes
Posted 9/21/2007 08:38 (#207241 - in reply to #207235)
Subject: Re: Base Saturation and %Mg

Seneca Kansas 66538
I know that on some soils the high mag may not hamper production, but as with farmertony I also have some soils with very high levels of mag. These soils were impossible to work with. Every since I have been farming this soil, in the spring when there is some moisture its like a sponge and when you drive on them they compact severely. I have been doing different things through the years ( experimenting with soil tests and apply inputs by different peoples advice). 3 years ago in the fall I had applied 2000 pounds of gypsum from soil solutions on the highest mag soil and I personally seen results I didnt think were possible. No more mud sticking on the planter opener discs, gauge wheels, closing wheels, ect. This is an expensive prospect and probably will not work for everyone but for my dirt imparticular it made a huge different. My soybeans the first year after application went from growing about 6-12 inches tall to waist high in places and yielded very well. I havent picked the corn yet this year but we did have nice rains on this field and the ears look very nice although they also appear to have some extra mold starting on them. This was something that I was warned about on soils with over 500 pounds of Gypsum applied. As with every new venture I tell people to start small and see how it works for you. IF it works then great, if it doesnt you can always walk away from the practice and not have alot invested in it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)