AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Base Saturation and %Mg
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 9/21/2007 07:06 (#207200 - in reply to #207038)
Subject: Be careful what you wish for.

Little River, TX
The Base Saturation Theory has been fairly well discredited. They talk about 60% Ca while it has been demonstrated that crops do very well with (if memory serves) 20% Ca.
Yes adding more calcium can displace your Mg but it will also displace other cations.

Speaking from 90% - 95% Ca with zero hydrogen and the K % being slightly higher than the Mg % I can assure you low Mg levels will not automatically translate to better tilth lie looseness.

If you wish to improve soil tilth the more rewarding method is to increase the Organic Matter Percentage of the soil.
Organic matter is not measured in the equations used to compute CEC values.

I hope you realize there is considerable variation in reported fertility elements. In the range of 20% or more. The Computed CEC values can also be off by a mutable of the usual variability in soil testing. For a better CEC value have the lab run a series of Measured CEC tests.

I would suggest you use tissue analysis to determine if your crops are deficient in any of the cations. Tissue testing results work well at looking at ratios.

Be careful, of folks who want to sell you gypsum to improve tilth by displacing magnesium.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)