AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop Dusters revisited.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 9/12/2007 09:37 (#202527 - in reply to #202313)
Subject: All mine passed the first try.

Little River, TX

All the applicants I recommended passed the first try.

The key is to be aware of where you are.

After you pass go back and review the lessons with your instructor. It will be good for both of you.

Also after you pass get your instructor to talk you through spin recovery above 5,000 AGL. The most dangerous spin is found by allowing the wind to drift you toward the runway on down wind, than making too shallow a turn on final and being displaced wide of the runway.
Then trying to maintain a shallow bank angle back to the runway center line. This does not work so the temptation is to rudder the nose around.
This just eats up distance and the landing spot is well short of the runway. Solution is to stretch the glide with back pressure.

Result is a cross controlled stall, which is the entry to a spin.
Recovery is quick and easy, if you only relax, add power and go around to try again. The relax part is not all that easy close to the ground.

Next hurdle is to do a real world full power stall & recovery.
Have your instructor simulate a night take off with few visual references. Seconds after takeoff go under the hood and fly the departure on instruments.
See it can be done if you relax.
Next fly to a reasonable altitude and go back to takeoff configuration under the hood, and then use a little too much back pressure until stall warning. Then relax the back pressure & continue the simulated takeoff another minute.

If you have not landed at a busy airport with mixed traffic give that a try. Hopefully the airport will have high speed turnoffs. The method I taught was to carry VNE speed (130 K or so) on final until over the approach lights. Then throttle to idle, level flight to flap and gear speed, then put the plane on the runway. Using reasonable breaking proceed to a high speed turnoff, switch to ground frequency when you are off the active and announce your intentions. When you start flying a fast mover fly the approved speeds for the gross weight.
The idea is to stay out of the way of the fast movers, who also want to land.
Also find the approved route for a slow mover to clear the departure track for the following high speed departures.

I also had a cow pasture that I taught landing and taking off from. We would land and have a cup of coffee with my friend before finding out what a soft field take off really was like. The trees at the end of the pasture were a good incentive to use good procedures.  

What I am saying is to continue your training after receiving your Private. I would suggest some work toward an instrument rating. Not that you will file instrument flight plans but to sharpen your flying skills.

Have fun flying.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)