AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bin busting, literally
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Deadduck
Posted 8/26/2007 18:54 (#193621 - in reply to #192357)
Subject: RE: Bin busting, literally

Northeast Louisiana
Owen,
This has happened here in Northeast Louisiana in 3 locations. Tubbs Rice and Grain had a bin collapse in their Mer Rouge location, then had a problem at their location in Pioneer, LA. The bin in Mer Rouge was old. From what I've heard, these bins have been used for rice, which is 45 lbs per bushel vs 56 lbs per bushel corn, the heavier corn is just testing the structures a lot more.
Also Raley's had a former cotton seed warehouse fail at Monticello Gin and Elevator. A wall collapsed, and corn flooded over the state hwy. nearby, causing it to be shut down for a day. He has been storing corn in this warehouse for several years now, so I don't know what was different this year. Maybe they just put more into it.

Test weights are very high this year, 60 - 62 lbs. The elevators knew about the acres, but no one expected yeilds this high. We averaged 197 bpa over 600 acres of corn, and are not an exception.

Frankly, I'm surprised I haven't heard more of this considering the amount of corn being stored in cotton warehouses, equipment sheds, etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)