AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kicking thread up about milk replacers, and other questions........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/22/2011 02:36 (#2117757)
Subject: Kicking thread up about milk replacers, and other questions........

This is to kick the thread up about milk replacers in earlier post. I asked why people didn't feed whole milk to their calves? I realize labor is most likely the biggest reason. And I see were a pasteurizer would be a good investment for some. I've always fed the milk out of first lead cows though the barn to second day old through month old calves. Then older calves got waste milk from sick/fresh pen, try to feed most all mastitis milk to bull calves. I feed milk for almost 90 days. I do realize there are dairies that feed less milk and go on a starter pellet, but the one costs I've always looked at was the cost of trucking milk replacer, pellets, etc. Storage and mixing of product. I do realize the economy of size for dairies, but for me it's been easier to feed whole milk.

I can't say I've seen a increase in heifers coming into milking herd with mastitis from being fed waste milk. Always ran a S.C.C. of 100 to 200 over 20+ years normally unless one or two cows took us over 300 S.C.C. I will say at this time I'm not afraid of the 400 limit on S.C.C. as of this time, my processor for years would phone call any producer that blew over 400 count on daily tests. Just one or two cows could blow you over 400 count, but if stripping those cows out everyday you would find them before lab could call you.

I've always felt I was at low risk for Johne's disease, as I run a closed herd on cows. Never brought any outside cows in, only bulls from just a select few dairies. I've asked my vet to test bulls for Johne's but he said it wasn't worth doing. I'm going to ask again for the next set of bulls I bring in. Is it done with a blood test or does it have to be a fecal sample?

Also food for thought, can you get S.C.C. too low? I realize the goal for the lowest counts, but if run in the low numbers 50 etc. or under 100 are you making your cows more susceptible to not being able to fight off infection if a cow is challenged in her lactation?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)