AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Expert advice on wintering cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/30/2011 19:58 (#2077235 - in reply to #2076132)
Subject: RE: Expert advice on wintering cattle

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Whether in a barn or outside on a concrete pad, If cattle are kept in a confined area there will be manure.  I think the right cattle for your area will do just fine outdoors all winter. As said above, what they need is good nutrition/mineral and good non frozen water along with a place to get out of the wind on cold windy days.

And the more area you can give them to roam the healthier they will be and the more they will spread manure for you.

Mine go back and forth about 1/4 mile from the woods to my waterer to my sacrifice hay feeding area. At least until the WI  snow gets too deep or ice encrusted to make the trip.  Then they stay between the hay feeders and the water. In Indiana I think they would be able to roam almost all winter.

The main reason to limit their roaming area as we get closer to thaw in the spring is to limit the pasture compaction.

I read somewhere that most northern breeds of cattle are far more comfortable at 20-30 deg F than they are at 70-80 deg F. We have to remember they are cattle not people and are naturally designed to be outdoors.  Unless we mess up nature and breed the outdoors qualities out of them. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/30/2011 20:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)