AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle rustling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 11/29/2011 02:00 (#2073975 - in reply to #2073624)
Subject: RE: Brand laws and interstate travel

Steve, if that owner of the springer's had done a brand inspection change of pasture from Idaho to Utah. But no change of ownership, well that should have proved he still owned the cattle, even though his brand wasn't registered in Utah. That is the law just to get the cattle out of state to pasture. Plus if the cattle were found they could have run Bangs tags numbers to vet and person Bangs was issued. Then follow paper trail to owner or owners. You are even supposed to get a commuter health permit in case there was ever a outbreak of disease ( say Bangs), then you would be able to get cattle back across the line.

I run on both sides of the state lines, I will get a change of pasture going into Utah, then a change of pasture back to Idaho. Even though I have my main 2 brands registered in both states. I also have one other brand that is only registered in Utah, other people have it in Idaho all over the cows body. So there is no hope of ever getting it in my name in Idaho. That's why I've went to only using the one main brand that I have in both states. I also have the earmarks registered in Utah, Idaho doesn't acknowledge earmarks. I even waddle beef cows, we used to do all the milk cows too, but quit it over 18 years ago.

I would hate to depend on RFID tags to get my cows home to me. All a crook has to do is take them out or cut chip out of body. I wouldn't mind using RFID w/ brand laws too.

I've had cattle stolen, shot, if fact two years ago we had 3 head we found shot and back straps cut out of them during deer hunting season. They left the calves. Very tough to patrol all the acres we run on. Very tough to nail those guys that shoot your cattle and put them in their freezer.

So if a person brands, does change of pasture inspections, change of ownership inspections, also files UCC forms on cattle you sell on contracts, you stand a better chance at getting cattle back or at least showing proof they were stolen.

But I will also tell a story of the failure of our justice system, a ranch on the Utah line hired a manger. somehow fooled the guys at a Idaho livestock auction house that he was one of the owners of the ranch. He sold cattle for two years in his name, cashed some of the checks in his name, other half of checks to real owners. When owners figured it out, they had him on 53 counts plus weapons violations. They had him, should have seen a lot of jail time. But the crook had some dirt on the owners, it got plea bargained down. Made a joke of the brand laws that time.

Also one little side note about brand laws in Idaho, you don't need a brand inspection to get out of state, if you own contiguous property on both lines. You can't drive or haul those cattle, they have to drift across the line on their own. We have one ranch here that does that, but the good thing is they let us ride though their herd for strays before they cross. Also they have been really good about returning any strays they end up with.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 11/29/2011 02:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)