AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeder calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/25/2011 00:57 (#2067124 - in reply to #2066582)
Subject: mineral consumption

Driftless SW Wisconsin

actual mineral consumption, say for P, is the percent P in the product times the amount of product consumed.  If you look at the feeding directions tab in my contents link above you will see it says daily consumption is between .5 and 1.0 lb/day per head. So actual P consumed per day is likely around 4% x 1 lb or .04 lb P.

I have fed dry mineral in the past and consumption is likely to be a lot less than 1 lb/day/head.  So the dry mineral would need to have a high percent P in order to get the same amount of P per day into the animal.

In my case my cattle would hardly  touch dry mineral. It turned into rock hard lumps that i eventually just had to dump out. The 250 lb Mineralyx barrels are consumed and zero waste. And I think that once their body's mineral needs are in balance consumpation actual goes a bit under .5 lb/day/head.

I am in a selenium deficient area. Copper, Cobalt, vitamin E... these are important and expensive.  But they probably don't taste very good to a cow. The Mineralyx is in sweet base so it gets consumed. If dry mineral works then fine. I like the tubs in my system.

Jim at Dawn 

Edited by Jim 11/25/2011 12:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)