AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feeder calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/24/2011 17:23 (#2066335 - in reply to #2066191)
Subject: RE: Feeder calves - hay requirements - mineral tubs

Driftless SW Wisconsin

The Mineral-lyx tubs are expensive. But if you look at the contents you can see why. Lots of expensive stuff in there.

I can see where these tubs might not pay for calves. However I feel the Mineral-lyx tubs are worth their weight in gold in helping cows and heifers ahead of calving. One of my main needs in my system is trouble free unassisted calving out on a pasture that is likely still pretty well snow covered in late March or early April and I am not there during our busy field season.  If using these tubs saves me one calf every other year or so they have more than paid for themselves. If I can have 15 females calve successfully in WI on their own I'd put out TWO tubs!

I have the tubs out year around but consumption varies a lot through the seasons. Right now ahead of winter consumption is much higher than during the summer but that is what I want. I want my bred cows and heifers to build up condition ahead of the heart of winter and heading into their third trimester.

I got into them on the experience and suggestion of a local neighbor who has been in cattle a long time. I think he is right. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/24/2011 17:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)