AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wood posts dont last the way they should
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmertull
Posted 11/15/2011 20:22 (#2051595)
Subject: Wood posts dont last the way they should

South Dakota
In the late 90's I made a odd shaped 40 acre pasture using a post pounder. I have had bad experience with green treated posts lasting a few years and breaking off at the ground. I was determined to make this fence last. I used Railroad ties for corners and creosote 8 foot 4-5 inch pointed posts for my 4 wire high tensile electric fence system. It has been almost 12 years since the fence has been built. I loosened the fence today and saw at least 25 posts fall down and many more near breaking. I cant believe it. Is the creosote process not as good as it use to be. I think if I took an untreated wood post it would last just as long if not longer. My grandfather came to the Dakota Territory on a rented fright box with his machinery and livestock and hundreds of untreated oak posts. These posts are over 100 year old and some still stand. I thought this fence would last my lifetime but it will not be so. I have bought some plastic 5 inch 7 foot posts at home. They were just as expensive and you didn't need insulators. They would bend if they were corner posts so railroad ties are the only choice for that. What do you people do with your high tensile permanent fence systems?
Tull
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)