AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy Guys, in barn camera advice please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

J. Sheehan
Posted 10/27/2011 21:06 (#2022497 - in reply to #2021846)
Subject: RE: Dairy Guys, in barn camera advice please

Sunnyside, WA
I don't have any cameras in either of our milking parlors. We do have a fan in the attic of one parlor that I can go look through to see protocol issues. Has come in handy now and then.

Seems like if people don't want to follow protocol, it will happen when you are not there or it will happen if you are standing right there watching. I just try to spend more time in the parlor and see what they are really doing. I was talking to one of my employees and he was amazed at how often he saw me around the dairy at night. He said the guys never knew when I would show up. I don't like to manage out of fear, and I am usually not at the dairy to check on employees, but I do pay attention while I am there. Nothing like a 1 am check in! Or show up one hour earlier in the morning. I figure if I have to sit and watch the footage on a camera I may as well just spend that time in the parlor talking with the guys and seeing what they are really doing.

I do have an employee handbook and in it is a description on employee misconduct. One verbal warning (documented) and after that written warning. The second written warning the employee can be terminated. I really don't like turnover, but bad eggs need to go or it turns into cancer and affects everyone on the dairy. I enjoy working side by side with my employees and respect them. But sometimes you need to have the tough conversations to improve a situation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)